When the weather is hot and you don’t feel like cooking a vegetable, try this non-cook vegetable salad. BONUS: it’s fat free!
Add or subtract ingredients as you please. I’m still not sure about the dried cranberries – my husband and I both liked them, but the salad is very good without them.
NOTE: This salad needs to chill at least 2 hours, so plan ahead.
PEA & CORN SALAD – makes 8 cups
- 16 oz package frozen petite peas, thawed
- 16 oz package frozen white corn, thawed
- 1 cup jicama, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2/3 cup (about 2 stalks) celery, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced (white & green parts)
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 8-oz can pineapple rings in pineapple juice, drained and cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 T dark brown sugar
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 T mint, chopped
In a large bowl, combine peas, corn, jicama, celery, scallions, bell pepper, pineapple, and cranberries. In a small bowl, stir together the vinegar, brown sugar, parsley, salt, and pepper. Pour on veggies and blend. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Stir in mint and serve.