Let me start by pointing out the quotation marks around the word SAUSAGE mean imitation. (For you carnivores, you can use real sausage.)
White Bean & ‘Sausage’ Soup is one of those recipes that can be made in 30 minutes – ideal for those nights when you have little time and/or desire to cook. This has become one of my family’s favorites, especially when served with a homemade Italian Bread Loaf.
WHITE BEAN & ‘SAUSAGE’ SOUP – makes about 7½ cups
- 1 T olive oil
- about 1 lb imitation sausage – my favorite for this recipe is made by Beyond Meat
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 4 cups vegetarian stock (homemade recipe: vegetarian stock)
- 15 oz can white beans, rinsed
- 1½ cups canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cups (about 3 oz) fresh spinach, chopped
- optional – Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated
Chop imitation sausage into bite sized pieces. Heat oil in a Dutch oven and cook ‘sausage’ over a medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add in onion, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Cook 3-5 minutes – until onions are softened. Add in stock, beans, tomatoes, salt, and black pepper. Bring to boil, cover, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in spinach off heat and check for seasoning (I add another 1/2 tsp salt). Sprinkle servings with Parmesan or Pecorino Romano, if desired.